How do you describe what your company does to a new or potential employee?
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of more than 410 stores nationwide serving more
than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada’s flagship online store, www.walmart.ca,
is visited by 750,000 customers daily. Walmart Canada does business with more than 6,600
Canadian suppliers and service providers to whom we pay more than $19 billion annually. From
distribution centres to supercentres, Walmart is proud to be part of Canada’s business
With more than 85,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and
is ranked one of the country’s top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada’s extensive
philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994
Walmart has donated and raised more than $300 million to Canadian charities.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has
grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Walmart Canada was
established in 1994 through the acquisition of the Woolco chain and has grown to more than
400 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers every day. Walmart Canada’s
flagship online store, walmart.ca is visited by 600,000 customers daily. With more than 85,000
associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and is ranked as one of the
country’s top 10 most influential brands.
What are some of your company’s key values?
Fifty years ago, Sam Walton established Walmart as a place for people to shop for quality
goods at discounted prices. Since then, Walmart has grown around the world but that
commitment has never wavered. In Canada, Walmart’s mission is clear – we want to save
Canadians money to help them live better. We believe Canadians deserve access to the quality
products they need, at everyday low prices, in the ways they want to shop for them. That’s our
commitment to you. The Walmart culture is one of high performance, and it is how we live out
our values. Each of our four values – Service to the Customer, Respect for the Individual, Strive
for Excellence and Act with Integrity – has a set of three corresponding behaviors that, when
practiced daily by every associate, can help us deliver business results and create a culture of
Service to the Customer
- Customer first: Listen to, anticipate and serve customer wants and needs
- Frontline focused: Support and empower associates to serve customers every day
- Innovative and agile: Be creative, take smart risks and move with speed
Respect for the Individual
- Listen: Be visible and available, collaborate with others and be open to feedback
- Lead by example: Be humble, teach and trust others to do their jobs, give honest and direct feedback
- Inclusive: Seek and embrace differences in people, ideas and experiences
Strive for Excellence
- High performance: Set and achieve aggressive goals
- Accountable: Take ownership, celebrate successes and be responsible for results
- Strategic: Make clear choices, anticipate changing conditions and plan for the future
Act with Integrity
- Honest: Tell the truth, keep your promises and be trustworthy
- Fair: Do right by others, be open and transparent
- Courageous: Speak up, ask for help, make tough calls and say no when appropriate
How would you describe your culture?
Culture is the foundation of everything we do at Walmart. It’s how we deliver superior customer
service, create a great frontline work environment and improve performance in order to achieve
our common purpose of saving people money so they can live better.